You’ve probably heard of alpha lipoic acid, but do you know what it is? If you don’t, you are not alone. Alpha lipoic acid is an essential antioxidant that is largely underappreciated. When it comes to weight loss, it is one of the essential supplements.
Alpha lipoic acid goes by several different names and abbreviations including ALA, thioctic acid, lipoic acid, LA, lipoate, and a-lipoic acid.
The following are four major reasons to consider taking alpha lipoic acid:
- Energy- We all need energy, especially on a cellular level. Cellular energy is what drives every action in the human body including wound healing, muscle movement, creating new cells, and thinking. Cellular energy is created in the mitochondria of cells. Krebs Cycle is the process that occurs within the mitochondria, and ALA is an essential component of this cycle. Simply put, without ALA, it is not possible to generate cellular energy.
- Healthy blood sugar level- Multiple studies have shown that a daily dose of 600 mg to 1800 mg of ALA improves insulin sensitivity, leading to healthier blood sugar levels. ALA also helps to prevent complications associated with high blood sugar levels, specifically with the kidneys and vascular system. ALA protects the inner lining of blood vessels from damage.
- Optimal nerve health- Diabetic neuropathy is a debilitating condition that causes a painful burning sensation in the arms and legs. Eventually, it leads to the loss of nerve function. ALA has been shown to reduce the symptoms of this painful condition when taken as a daily dose of 600 mg to 1800 mg.
- Weight loss- ALA effects how our bodies use excess fat and food. Because ALA supports creating energy on a cellular level, it stimulates the body to burn excess calories from fat quickly. Recent studies found that obese individuals who took 1800 mg of ALA every day for a 20 week period lost more weight than those who took a placebo.
What Are Some Foods That Naturally Contain Alpha Lipoic Acid?
If you would rather not take supplements, alpha lipoic acid is found in many foods including:
- Brussel sprouts
- Rice Bran
- Red meat, mainly organ meat
What Are Alpha Lipoic Side Effects?
Alpha lipoic acid is considered a safe supplement for most adults and can be taken orally for up to 4 years. The most common side effect of taking ALA is a rash. When you are a member of VIP Weight Loss clinic, you have a doctor that will advise you on whether or not you should take ALA and at what dosage. There are special precautions that you should talk to the doctor about before taking ALA including:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding- There is not enough research about the use of ALA during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It is recommended to avoid use during these periods.
- Diabetes– Because ALA can decrease your blood sugar levels, your doctor will need to pay close attention to your blood sugar because your medication may need to be adjusted once you start taking alpha lipoic acid.
- Excessive alcohol consumption- Alcohol lowers the amount of thiamine or vitamin B1 in the body. If you have a shortage of thiamine, taking ALA can cause serious health problems. Always be honest with your doctor about your alcohol consumption to avoid dangerous interactions.
- Thyroid disease- ALA can interfere with thyroid medications, so talk to your doctor about all the medical conditions you have and medications you take.
Always Talk With Your Doctor Before Taking Any Supplements
Alpha lipoic acid is considered safe for most adults. However, it is always best to talk with a doctor before taking any medication or supplements. When you talk with a doctor, you ensure that you are taking the right supplement at a safe
dose. The doctor at VIP Medical Weight Loss is very knowledgeable about ALA and will consider your entire health before recommending any supplements.
If you are not yet a member of VIP Medical Weight Loss, visit their website today and see everything they have to offer. Joining this type of clinic will help you finally achieve your weight loss goals.